Tuesday 29 November 2016

Story-Telling Unit: Second Cut

SECOND CUT
(Tuesday 29th November)

After completing my first cut, I finally had a chance to film on Wednesday 8th – managing to combine the two shoots to finish my narrative. I have also had the opportunity for Mike Rymer to look at my work, giving me more ways to improve.

Logo improvement
Firstly, I have made a minor change in typography to my logo, changing it to Bebas to look more professional / match the font of my logo.

To add realism to my film, I have included the sound effect of the brick hitting Adam’s head, as well as an atmospheric track of city sounds underneath the whole thing, setting the scene - which I could not get from the mono-directional Rode mic used for dialogue. I have also purposefully left a silence on my long opening shot for cinematic effect, choosing not to include my music.

I have also had to change some of my original dialogue and narrative structure to my opening two minutes. Due to coverage issues, I did not get the shots I needed on location to make my story clear. Like Mike suggested, I could have gone back on location with my actors and shot some pick-ups, but this is inconvenient for both me and my actors/crew. Therefore, I have gone slightly astray from my script, cutting out some dialogue and actions to make the story make sense, and cut down the length of the film.

Finally, I have worked on colour correction, as part of my feedback was due to a lack of light people were losing my story – missing important details such as Adam in the foreground:

Before colour correction
After colour correction - only a slight difference to make it
unnoticeable, but very effective
Or a close-up of his hands bound: 

Before
After - now the audience will be able to see clearly
what is in the frame
This had definitely improved my film, making my narrative clearer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment